CIMA Files Comments With CRTC On Torres Media Ottawa Renewal Application
The Canadian Independent Music Association (CIMA) has filed comments with the CRTC regarding Torres Media Ottawa Inc.'s recent Part 1 Renewal Application for its CIDG-FM radio station.
Representing the interests of the Canadian independent music community and our 240 + members across the country, CIMA argued against proposed changes that would see a reduction in Canadian Content Development (CCD) contributions, and a reduction in Canadian Content requirements.
What is Torres Media Ottawa Inc. asking for?
- A reduction in their current level of CCD: The licensee is asking to be subject to basic CCD requirements, rather than their current Conditions of Licence that include additional investment into CCD and Francophone community radio.
- The elimination of the requirement to play Category 3 Specialty Music.
- An overall reduction in Canadian content from 40% to 35%.
Key points of our intervention:
- Given the key importance that CCD plays in the music industry, CIMA is opposed to the proposed reduction made by Torres Media Ottawa Inc., and we've argued that there isn't sufficient justification provided to reduce their CCD obligations.
- Reducing exhibition requirements (both CanCon-related and special interest music) would significantly reduce the diversity available to the Canadian public in the Ottawa-Gatineau market.
To consult our submission, please click here: CIMA Submission - Torres Media Ottawa Renewal Application