Submissions Now Open for CIMA Showcase and Business Mission to Japan 2017
October 23-27 2017 in Tokyo, Japan
CIMA will be returning to Tokyo for its fourth mission to Japan in October 2017 and plans on participating in the Tokyo International Music Market (TIMM), part of the Japan Content Showcase, a multi-content market featuring music, film, TV and anime that attracts influential buyers from Asia and other world markets.
CIMA will host the Canada Stand as an exhibitor to connect with TIMM delegates as well as undertake B2B activities (meetings/showcases/reception) and we are looking for 8-12 Canadian companies who are interested in connecting and developing important relationships in the second largest music market in the world. The opportunity is also open to 8 showcasing artists. CIMA will also be working with the Canadian Embassy in Japan for a B2B event and showcase.
How well did we do the last time we went to Japan, back in 2015? Mission participants reported making 131 new contacts, taking 130 meetings, negotiating 28 business deals with potential revenues of $277,000 over a 36-month period.
CIMA is seeking applications from export-ready Canadian independent companies with international experience. A committee with expertise in the Japanese market will review the applications. What are they looking for? Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong potential to conduct business in Japan (Asia) by demonstrating established international recording, touring or publishing activity. The Mission is open to both members and non-members, though, as spaces are limited, CIMA members in good standing will be given priority.
- Participation in TIMM Festival as delegates and members of the Canada Stand (Promotional Booth and Meeting Place)
- 2 planned Canadian Blast showcase opportunities, including promotion and marketing of showcases
- B2B networking receptions with Japanese music executives
- Round table sessions to learn about and make contacts from different areas of the Japanese music industry
- Consultation with in-market specialists to target invitations to showcases and biz events to ensure the right industry contacts are present
- Distribution of detailed profiles of our delegation and artists
- Custom business cards printed in Japanese
- Travel and per-diem subsidies*
- Potential tour
- Preferred corporate hotel rate
- A Professional Development Session, prior to the mission, on what to expect from the Japanese music market, and how to conduct business in Japan
*There will be a reimbursement of up to 50% for participant travel-related (economy air, ground transportation) and accommodation/per diem expenses for up to 10 applicants. This is through Global Affairs Canada’s GOA program.
- The rates are:
- Showcase + Business package: $2,900 (CIMA member rate)
- Business Only package: $2,700 (CIMA member rate)
- Non-member rate: $3,600 (applicants are encouraged to become members prior to the Mission)
- The cost covers the operation and organization of the Mission, showcases, translation services, promotional materials, Japanese business cards, business consultants in Tokyo, high-level networking events, TIMM partnership and some meals and access to corporate rates for accommodation.
Deadline to Apply: June 2, 2017