Apply now: CIMA Business and Showcasing Mission to Japan (November 16-20, 2015)
CIMA will be returning to Tokyo for its third mission to Japan, and we’re looking forward to this great opportunity for connecting and developing important relationships in the second largest music market in the world. According to the latest IFPI data for 2014, Japan ranks first in physical revenues, third in digital revenues, fourth in performance rights revenues and third in synchronization rights revenues.
Including both a business and showcasing component, CIMA’s Mission to Japan is best suited to companies looking to build or deepen relationships in Asia, to create opportunities for the export of Canadian music products and artists. Some of the anticipated outcomes include licensing masters, sub-publishing, synchronization, touring opportunities as well as developing new revenue sources from digital and mobile content.
How well did we do the last time we went to Japan, back in 2012? Mission participants reported making 247 new contacts, taking 120 meetings, negotiating 38 business deals with potential revenues of $.5Million over a 36-month period.
- 2 planned Canadian Blast showcase opportunities, including promotion and marketing of showcases
- B2B networking receptions with Japanese music executives
- Round table sessions to learn about and make contacts from different areas of the Japanese music industry
- Consultation with in-market specialists to target invitations to showcases and biz events to ensure the right industry contacts are present
- A catalogue both in English and Japanese that will include detailed profiles of our delegation and artists
- Custom business cards printed in Japanese
- Travel and per-diem subsidies*
- Preferred corporate hotel rate
- A Professional Development Session, prior to the mission, on what to expect from the Japanese music market, and how to conduct business in Japan
*Eligible participants will be reimbursed up to 50% of travel-related (economy air, ground transportation) and accommodation/per diem expenses through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD).
CIMA is seeking applications from export-ready Canadian independent companies with international experience. A committee with expertise in the Japanese market will review the applications. What are they looking for? Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong potential to conduct business in Japan (Asia) by demonstrating established international recording, touring or publishing activity. The Mission is open to both members and non-members, though, as spaces are limited, CIMA members in good standing will be given priority.
- The rates are:
- Showcase + Business package: $2,900 (CIMA member rate)
- Business Only package: $2,700 (CIMA member rate)
- Non-member rate: $3,600 (applicants are encouraged to become members prior to the Mission)
- The cost covers the operation and organization of the Mission, showcases, translation services, promotional catalogue, Japanese business cards, business coordinator in Tokyo, high-level networking events, some meals and access to corporate rates for accommodation.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: July 21, 2015
CIMA gratefully acknowledges the generous support of our Canadian partners and sponsors: Canadian Music Week (CMW), Corus Entertainment, the Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings (FACTOR), the Government of Canada (Canadian Heritage/Canadian Music Fund, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development/GOA), Harvard Broadcasting, Music Managers Forum Canada, Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), and the Radio Starmaker Fund.