Call for Submissions: Canadian Blast at MIDEM 2013
Deadline for Submissions: October 19, 2012
CIMA through the Canada Stand at MIDEM is seeking applications from export-ready companies with international experience who represent export-ready Canadian artists for the Canadian Blast at MIDEM.
The showcase series will take place during MIDEM (January 26-29, 2013) at Morrisons (10 rue Teisseire) in the heart of Cannes, France (a few steps away from Canada Stand at MIDEM in the Palais.)
The Canada Stand, introduced by CIMA in 1978, was MIDEM’s first national pavilion. For the past four years, the Canada Stand has presented Canadian Blast showcases at MIDEM, providing Canadian music companies with a rare opportunity to showcase their artists to the world’s largest gathering of international music and talent buyers.
Each Canadian Blast showcase package includes the following:
- One 30-minute festival-style showcase at Morrisons (final dates/times to be confirmed)
- Technical support in the form of quality condition, general backline equipment, sufficient to support basic performance;
- Inclusion in all Canadian Blast at MIDEM advertising opportunities;
- Promotion through canadianblast.com and social media sites;
- Flyers distributed outside and around MIDEM;
- Seasoned in-market publicist and trade specialist hired to promote showcases.
Canadian Blast Showcase at MIDEM Testimonials
“One of our clients showcased for the first time in France. The response was so successful the retailer FNAC which facilitated the showcase has now shown interest in stocking their stores with my client’s album. As well, numerous media were present and overall exposure (mention in France magazine Paris Match, with a pan-European circulation of more than 1 million) was much more than we expected.”
“Our Canadian Blast showcase at MIDEM helped us forge new relationships in markets worldwide and specifically led us to discussions of licensing the album in Scandinavia, US and Taiwan. In addition, we have been approached by various companies for collaborating, which is a great way to break our artist in new territories.”
Canadian Blast at MIDEM 2013 Showcase Package: $2,000. per showcase.
- Showcase spots are by application. You can apply to purchase more than one showcase; however, spots are not guaranteed until all submissions have been received;
- Space is limited. Please apply soonest;
- For Canadian Blast Showcases, preference will be given to artists who have not recently played in a MIDEM Canadian Blast Showcase;
- Canadian Blast at MIDEM showcases are FACTOR, Radio Starmaker and SOCAN Foundation eligible;
- The curated MIDEM Festival showcase program is separate from the Canadian Blast at MIDEM showcase series.
Criteria for submission includes:
- Artist must be export-ready, with an export marketing strategy which targets the particular market or an overall international marketing strategy;
- Each artist must have a business representative registered at the Canada Stand who has the authority to act on behalf of the artist, participate in any B2B sessions, liaise with international business delegates in attendance and report to CIMA on business outcome;
- Company registered with the Canada Stand at MIDEM who is representing the artist must have the resources to follow-through on business opportunities resulting from this showcase tours, gigs, and releases in international territories, etc.);
- Company representing the artist must agree to complete a post-event survey;
- Company representing the artist must agree to continue to report back in future on successes resulting from their showcases;
- Artist must be signed to (and if not yet signed, represented by) a Canadian-owned company;
- Each artist must be Canadian Citizen, carry a valid Canadian Passport and be able to provide proof of Canadian citizenship as necessary (birth certificate, valid passport or landed citizenship card);
- Company representing the artist is solely responsible for completing their International Visa application paperwork.
About the Canada Stand at MIDEM 2013
In January 2013, Canadian delegates will gather at the Canada Stand at MIDEM, the world's largest music industry conference and festival for the independent music sector.
The Canada Stand at MIDEM provides a turnkey solution customized to your business needs. Participation with the Canada Stand at MIDEM is a proven gateway for Canadians to access revenue-generating opportunities from the global arena.
Canadians at MIDEM 2012 surveyed by CIMA reported more than $7.6 M in potential revenue from deals, and more than 1,300 new contacts, with new deals/ tours being announced every day – resulting directly from meetings and Canadian Blast showcases at MIDEM earlier this year.
Registration fees for the Canada Stand are as follows:
- First person from each company: $ 2,800 (CIMA Members); $ 3,300. (CIMA Non-Members)
- Second person from each company: $ 2,100 (CIMA Members); $ 2,600. (CIMA Non-Members)
- Third person and up from each company: $ 1,200 (CIMA Members); $ 1,700. (CIMA Non-Members)
Canada Stand at MIDEM Testimonials
“The Canada Stand provides a professional meeting environment for MIDEM. As well, the caliber of delegates participating from Canada is commendable. The delegates were excellent ambassadors for the Canadian music industry/community and this stood out. The Canada Stand is a key part of presenting the authority of Canada’s music market and its artists.”
“The experience of CIMA staff and their aid to all participants is not replaceable. It provides newer labels with the opportunity to network without having to make cold calls.”
CIMA gratefully acknowledges the generous support of our Canadian partners and sponsors: Astral Radio, Audio-Video Licensing Agency Inc. (AVLA), Canadian Music Week (CMW), the Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings (FACTOR), the Government of Canada (through GOA/DFAIT and MEC/Canadian Heritage), Harvard Broadcasting, Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), the Radio Starmaker Fund, and the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN).
For more information, contact Kathy Hahn by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or at (416) 485-3152, Ext. 227.