Policy Analyst - CIMA & MusicOntario
ORGANIZATION: Canadian Independent Music Association (CIMA) & MusicOntario
POSITION: Policy Analyst
LOCATION: Remote (Position is open to anyone Canada)
POSITION DETAILS: Full time, Temporary (6-Month Contact, Maternity Leave Cover)
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
Through transparency, trust and integrity, CIMA will be an advocacy leader, representing the national interests of the Canadian owned independent music industry, while providing targeted services for the economic benefit of its membership.
CIMA is the not-for-profit national trade association representing Canada’s English-language, independent music sector which comprises approximately 38% of the Canadian recorded music market.
CIMA's membership consists of Canadian-owned companies and representatives involved in every aspect of the music, sound recording and music-related industries. CIMA’s diverse membership base is comprised of record producers, record labels, recording studios, managers, agents, licensors, music video producers and directors, creative content owners, artists and others professionally involved in the sound recording and music video industries.
CIMA's mandate is to develop and advocate policies and services that serve to support a strong and economically stable Canadian independent music and sound recording industry, ensuring the long-term development of the sector and to raise the profile of Canadian independent music both in Canada and around the world.
CIMA continues to take a leadership role in improving the economic viability and well-being of the independent music and sound recording sector in important areas such as cultural industry policies and programs; intellectual property and copyright law; tax laws and tariffs; international export and trade development programs; and professional development.
MusicOntario is a non-profit, membership-based provincial Music Industry Association (MIA), whose mission is to provide professional development, education, information, and support to the music industry of Ontario. The association's mandate is to nurture, elevate, and empower emerging companies and artists in Ontario's indie music sector. We help.
MusicOntario delivers programs, services, events and initiatives that assist in nurturing, developing, promoting, and sustaining growth within the provincial music sector. MusicOntario supports and develops both the emerging and established independent industry in all markets province-wide.
- Conduct research and analysis on music industry issues and trends in Canada and around the world
- Conduct research and analysis on relevant government and agency legislation, regulations and policies
- Prepare research content for position papers, briefs, presentations, submissions, website, media and membership communiqués
- Assist in the advocacy efforts of CIMA’s and MusicOntario’s policies and positions
- Help resource CIMA’s Government Affairs Committee and other ad hoc committees/task forces as required
- Create and edit content for CIMA’s electronic newsletters, bulletins, websites and social media
- Assist in the preparation and analysis of periodic online surveys
- Prepare speeches and presentations for CIMA’s president
- Fulfill other communications and research related duties as required
- Prepare and support the President for meetings with external stakeholders and decision-makers
- Other duties, as assigned
- A degree in a relevant field, such as political studies, public policy, music policy, or economics
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience in a policy focused role
- Understanding of public policy and government relations
- Excellent analytic and critical thinking skills, with demonstrated ability to handle complex issues
- Exceptional research and writing skills, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team while meeting challenging organizational goals and deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Office, particularly Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- High level of discretion, professionalism and flexibility
- Able to work overtime and attend industry events if required (time off provided in lieu of overtime)
- Knowledge and/or experience within the music industry
- Public speaking experience
- French language proficiency
A competitive compensation package including base salary, health and dental benefits, vehicle and cellular phone allowance will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to no later than June 4th, 2021, to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Policy Analyst Application".
CIMA is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We strongly support and value diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.