Logistics Manager - Western Canadian Music Alliance/BreakOut West
LOCATION: WINNIPEG, MB
LOGISTICS MANAGER - JOB POSTING
Western Canadian Music Alliance (WCMA) is seeking applications for the role of Logistics Manager. The Logistics Manager is a new position, which will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the Creative Content Manager, Technical Producer and other contract staff to carry out logistical implementation of the BreakOut West (BOW) Conference, Festival, Awards and special events. This role will oversee event details with resect to venues, vendors, catering and scheduling and communication of these elements.
Please see Schedule A for a detailed description of the position expectations.
The Western Canadian Music Alliance (WCMA) is a member-based organization that includes the Music Industry Associations (MIAs) of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Yukon. The main function of the WCMA is to promote and celebrate western Canadian music and to create business and career development opportunities for western Canadian musicians and music companies. This is accomplished primarily through producing the BreakOut West (BOW) conference and festival and the Western Canadian Music Awards. This event is held each fall in a different region across the west on a rotational basis.
WCMA and BreakOut West is a forward thinking organization, always staying on top of new technology and trends to best support Alliance members, artists and the music industry. BreakOut West strives to be at the forefront of the music industry and represent the best new music from the region.
The WCMA head office is located in Winnipeg. As a pan-western organization, applicants from any of the member provinces or territories will be considered. If a candidate is from outside the member region and chooses to relocate to western Canada, moving expenses cannot be provided.
As a small team, the ideal candidate will be productive and a great fit with the organization culture. With the speed of major events and the music industry, it is important that all team members can work quickly to meet deadlines consistently, with little supervision.
Applicants should possess the following required qualifications:
- Energetic individual with a passion for music and a creative approach to program planning and event management.
- Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent training and experience.
- Impeccable attention to detail;
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously;
- Demonstrated ability to lead operations and manage resources effectively.
- Efficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite with excellent oral and written communication skills and effective organizational and staff management skills.
The following are not required but will be considered assets for this position:
- Production experience / understanding;
- Social media knowledge and experience.
Timeline Expectations and Compensation
This is a contract position with more strenuous workload from May through October. Compensation will be subject to experience. This is a one-year contract commencing December 2018, through December 2019. As a new role, this position will be reviewed for adjustment and potential for renewal following the contract term.
All applications must be received on or before 5:00 PM PST, December 6, 2018. Please include salary expectations in the cover letter.
Apply in writing to:
WCMA, 1-118 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C 2B4 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email if further information is required. No phone or in-person inquiries please.
We appreciate all interest in this role; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Logistics Manager will manage all aspects of the BreakOut West conference, festival and special events to ensure logistical delivery of all components as well as integration with other aspects of the organization. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
(i) Manage and implement logistical planning and implementation of the BreakOut West Conference:
- Be the lead communication contact for all speakers/mentors, once confirmed (approximately 80), arranging timetables and schedules for the venues and speakers;
- Collect collateral, registrations and other materials from speakers / mentors;
- Ensure accurate booking of hotels, flights and any other travel details as per agreements with board members, speakers / mentors;
- Work with Creative Content Manager to layout the schedule of sessions to compliment programming;
- Manage details of venue contracts with host hotel and secondary hotel(s);
- Program catering within conference venue;
- Along with Marketing Manager, carry out design and sponsor needs, ensuring all sponsorship fulfilment is completed as it relates to marketing materials, signage placement, etc. within the conference;
(ii) Work with Executive Director, Host Committee, graphic designers and producers to ensure deadlines laid out in the organizations critical path are met within the timeframe of this role;
(iii) Be the onsite or on call lead throughout BOW for any logistical questions or needs.
(b) Festival (Including Kick-off Concert and Awards event artists)
(i) Research, confirm and contract all venues and liaise with management contacts throughout planning process;
(ii) Be a lead contact for logistics with programmed artists once contracted;
(iii) Coordinate all logistics for the Industry Awards Brunch, including overseeing the Technical Producer;
(iv) Ensure clear communication with venues regarding contract terms and logistic needs throughout planning process.
(c) General Administration and Financial Management
(i) Ensure accurate financial, statistical, personnel and program records are maintained for the all components in this role;
(ii) Hire, contract and oversee technical producer and vendors;
(iii) Oversee hiring of production assistants to carry out onsite details.
(iv) Ensure BreakOut West is managed in accordance with all legal requirements and with the constitution and by-laws;
(v) Operate within the approved budget;
(vi) Train and oversee conference volunteers (onsite);
(vii) Provide a detailed final report to the Executive Director within two weeks after BreakOut West.
(i) Create and proof printed and electronic conference materials for the event (graphics/text including: conference guide, and onsite signage).