A&R Scout - Hipster Bait
Did you know that band before they were cool? Even if your friends didn’t care, we definitely do. We make it our business to find new rock music before anyone else. The good stuff. The kind parents scream to have turned down, not the crap they tap their feet to.
Hipster Bait is an interactive, rock ‘n roll music discovery game for mobile. We’re releasing our app to the public soon and we need some rock-loving, leather wearing people to join our team. Are you in a punk band too? Awesome.
As a Hipster Bait A&R scout, you’ll be responsible for finding new, up-and-coming talent to join our game. This includes attending shows at clubs, bars, alternative venues and all age events and approaching artists ready to sell the opportunity. You need to get down and dirty, go out and explore, and see performers live so you can make sound decisions about whether they got the right stuff or not. You’ll be active on all the music blogs, indie labels, music news sites and of course, you must be a born and raised lover of all things rock. This position is based out of Victoria, BC.
You’ll also be responsible for creating contacts in the music news industry, both in print and online, concentrating heavily on the Northwest of Canada and the USA, building relationships with studio producers and engineers.
Primary Skills & Qualifications
- 2+ years of experience in the music industry—ideally with a record label, recording studio, music PR or marketing company
- A love of all things rock and roll, with familiarity of local rock bands and labels in Western Canada and Northwest USA
- Strong writing skills and can work magic in Google Docs and Sheets
- Outgoing person who is not afraid to approach people and is comfortable talking on the phone (this skill is more rare than you think)
- Own at least one cassette tape
- Know that LPs are way better than MP3s
- Is a Canadian citizen living in British Columbia
- Applicant must be 21 years old or over
- Travel to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Seattle and Portland will be a regular part of the position (travel expenses will be covered)
- 15 hours per week—you make your schedule.
- You’ll have a desk at Hipster Bait HQ equipped with computer, internet, etc.. But you don’t have to sit there. Office access is 24 hours.
- You’ll be expected to attend regular(ish) meetings with the Hipster Bait team
How to Apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes to be in the band, send us your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If we agree we’ll call you in for an audition.