The Ontario Media Development Corporation’s 2013-2014 in Review Report
If you’re a music company in Ontario, then you’re probably going to want to take a look at the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC)’s Year in Review report for 2013-2014. Called “Ontario’s Creative Industries: Leading Through Innovation”, it highlights some of their key achievements in the creative media industries in Ontario: music, book and magazine publishing, film and television, and interactive digital media.
With the introduction of the 3-year, $45 million Ontario Music Fund, the OMDC described itself as hitting a high note in 2013.
Here are the highlights for Ontario’s music industry:
- Ontario’s music industry is the largest in Canada – producing over 80% of the country’s music recording and publishing revenues, and providing more than three-quarters of Canadian music industry jobs.
- The OMDC delivered “unprecedented support” to more than 100 music companies across Ontario’s music ecosystem to develop emerging companies, drive tourism through live music and create jobs and revenue growth.
- Specifically, the OMF provided 108 grants to support music companies and the organizations that produce, distribute and promote Canadian music and artists.
- Besides the OMF, the OMDC also administers the Ontario Sound Recording Tax Credit (in addition to a whole host of other tax credits for the creative clusters in Ontario).
- In 2013-2014, 61 applications received and 61 product productions received, issued 159 certificates for 78 projects. The value of these estimated tax credits are $614,955 and the projects were valued at $3,376,081.
Moving beyond the numbers, the OMDC Year in Review Report also noted its support for CIMA’s export missions as a part of its mandate to cultivate and nourish international partnerships.
Specifically, the OMDC celebrated its support for:
- MIDEM in 2014, where the OMDC hosted an Ontario reception with 28 Ontario music stakeholders and 250 international VIP guests, supported the Canada Stand in addition to CIMA’s Canadian Blast Ontario Showcase.
- The OMDC was also a key partner at CIMA’s Canadian Blast Mission to SXSW in Austin, Texas, where it provided support for an Ontario showcase.
Besides looking back at 2013-2014’s successes, the report also outlines the organization’s goals for 2014-2015:
- Improve Access to Funding
- Enable Business Evolution
- Support Content Development and Market Access
- Encourage Collaboration
- Provide Strong Leadership in Advancing Ontario’s Cultural Media Industries
If you’re interested, you can consult the full-text of the report here: http://www.omdc.on.ca/Assets/Communications/Year+in+Review/2013-14/Year+in+Review+2013-14_en.pdf