CIMA Celebration & Awards – More Special The 2nd Time
On Monday, June 13, we were thrilled to celebrate Canada’s independent music industry with our wonderful colleagues and friends at the 2nd Annual CIMA Celebration & Awards Gala. An intimate audience gathered to pay tribute to some of Canada’s finest music, as well as the individuals who dedicate their careers to promoting it.
CBC personality Grant Lawrence hosted the night, honouring Canadian industry professionals, stage and studio veterans, road teams and entrepreneurs for the efforts they make to keep our independent music sector vital and growing. Thank you to all the performers, honourees and guests who came out to mark the occasion with us!
The festivities included stellar performances from the following artists:
- Jessica Mitchell opened the show on a high note courtesy of Slaight Music
- Rick Emmett doing a rousing solo rendition of “Lay It On The Line”
- Donny ‘Mr Downchild’ Walsh, giving us a taste of unvarnished, unplugged blues
- The unique and powerful Shakura S’Aida, performing in honour of Richard Flohil
- Finally, The Sheepdogs, who treated the room to a rootsy acoustic performance, after collecting their Road Gold Award for a highly successful year of touring.
Other industry honours included the following:
- Our Unsung Hero Award went to Richard Flohil, who generously used the occasion to shine his own spotlight on Kaïa Kater, Scarlett Jane and Jay Aymar.
- The Industry Builder Award was given to the very deserving Al Mair – founder of Attic Records and a key figure in the histories of CIMA and CMRRA.
- Neill Dixon received the CIMA Leadership Award, named for our prolific late president, Brian Chater. Neill accepted by saying, “I feel like I’m standing on the shoulders of a giant”.
- The winners of our inaugural Marketing Award were Coalition Music, in recognition of their outstanding work with USS.
- Joel Carriere picked up Entrepreneur of the Year, and a special thanks goes out to his Dine Alone Records for enhancing the night by providing their own hot sauce, colouring books, and 100% Organic Rye.
We again congratulate all of this year’s winners for the ongoing, invaluable contributions they make to enriching Canada’s independent music sector. Credit must also go to our sponsors, without whom the event would not be possible:
- FACTOR, MuchFACT, Merlin, the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), Slaight Music
- CBC Music, Gowling WLG, Stoney Ridge
- Recording Artists’ Collecting Society (ACTRA RACS), BuzzAngle, the Canadian Federation of Musicians (CFM), the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd. (CMRRA), Musicians’ Rights Organization Canada (MROC), the Society of Composers, Authors and music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN), Steam Whistle and the Government of Canada
All in all, our 2nd Annual Celebration & Awards Gala was a special night that could only happen with the support of our exceptional members, colleagues and friends. We look forward to celebrating again next year, as Canada’s independent sector continues to grow, diversify and provide first-rate entertainment to Canadians and millions of music fans around the world.